Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chill in the Air

I'd be lying if I said the chill in the air is a new thing.  It's not, really.  But, I don't mind the chill if the sun is shining.  And, today it shone.  It warms me right up. 

We had a crazy weekend.  Friday Mr. A had his final soccer game.  We all went and cheered him on.  In the past few weeks, I've been running in the jogger stroller over to his game w/Baby S and then run home with either him or Miss M in the stroller (there is a mighty large hill going TO the game, so I take the lightest traveler).  I had run to the game and it was Miss M's turn to ride home with me.  DH had pushed her to the top of a steep hill where the parking lot was and put the brake down.  I was getting Baby S in the car, DH was getting Mr. A in the car and the next thing I knew all I heard was Miss M screaming, "Mommy!  Mommy!  Moooooooommmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!"  The brake had come loose on the stroller and she was rolling down the very steep hill screaming and staring at me with a look of complete fear and terror on her face.  I started running as fast as I could.  I could hear DH's footsteps from behind me when we both had run down the first hill and got to the "flat" basketball court, but the stroller, while it slowed slightly, did not slow enough for either one of us to catch her before she hit the next hill and accelerated down toward the wall of the field.  DH did his best baseball slide to try to stop her before the stroller hit the wall.  To no avail.  I watched, as if in slow motion, as she hit the wall, and bounced out of the stroller and almost to a standing position on the ground crying her little eyes out.  DH got to her first.  "Are you ok?" "Does anything hurt?"  Screaming.  Only screaming. 

Several parents had watched it all and one came running down asking if we needed someone to call 911.  It looked that bad.  I could not believe it, but she was actually ok.  We were so extremely lucky and blessed and watched over.  I pushed the stroller back up the hill.  The push bar was completely cracked and disconnected from the stroller.  Bless that handlebar.  It had absorbed the impact and shielded Miss M.  We think that DH had put the brake bar down but that it had not "clicked" into the spokes and, so, when Miss M started rocking around in it while waiting for me, she had jolted it loose and thus the great roll. 

That night she complained about her ear hurting just before bed.  I thought it might have something to do with her hitting the stroller when she had hit the wall, so I gave her a little Tylenol and sent her to bed.  Saturday morning she woke up assuring me that it felt just fine.  Right?

We went down to Tacoma for DH's cousin's daughter's baptism and birthday party.  It was a sweet event, but Baby S was super whiny and Miss M started to follow suit at the party.  By the time we left they were both screaming and hot and fevery and Miss M was screaming about the pain in her ears.  She and I spent Saturday evening in the Urgent Care getting her a prescription for her ear infection.  I should have taken Baby S with me, but thought hers was just a virus and a cold and her teeth. 

DH and I spoke in church on Sunday.  It was a circus.  He went to bed at 10:30 and I went to bed at 12:30.  I had helped Miss M and Baby S who had both woken up.  He dealt with both of them as well around 2:30 or 3.  I jumped in around 3:30 or 4 to help with whomever was up.  It felt like a giant game of all-night Whack-a-Mole. 

By 6:30 I was up and in the shower and everyone else followed shortly thereafter.  Everyone had to go to church since we both had to speak!  Baby S was miserable and Miss M wasn't much more enjoyable on the misery scale.  Bless my sweet nephew who came to sit with us in church.  Between him and the new, cheap Crayola drawing books I had bought the day before, Miss M and Mr. A stayed quiet for a good 20 minutes.  I sat with the kids until after the sacrament.  I was the first adult speaker.  I gave my talk, sat down and listened to the choir, and then walked off the stand and took my two girls out in the foyer for the remainder of the meeting where we listened to DH give his talk. 

As soon as "Amen" was said, the 3 of us marched out to the car and I brought the 2 of them home and put them to bed. 

I started fixing dinner for Kim's bday dinner (she and Tom came over at 4) and cookies for CIM that night that was at our house (w/DH's cousins, aunt, uncle, brother and his kids).  I fell into bed Sunday night.  And, then Baby S was up from 2-3:30.  She was so miserable.  To the pediatrician we went on Monday morning.  Double ear infection. 

Enough already!!  I need a weekend from my weekend! 

However, we were all so blessed with what we needed.  For that I am so grateful.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I am exhausted reading this!!! What a weekend! I can picture the stroller incident and it gives me chills!