Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snowpocalypse 2010



That's what they were calling the massive snow storms we have had here lately. Friday night into Saturday dumped 2 feet. Tuesday night and ALL day Wednesday dumped an additional 18 - 24 inches.

On Saturday DH was home to hit the driveway with his trusty shovel and his two overqualified assistants (4 yr old Mr. A whose attention span with his large blue beach shovel was maybe a minute and Miss M, the 20 month old whose small yellow plastic beach shovel kept getting lost in the pile that the snow plow was leaving at the end of the driveway).

Yesterday, however, DH had gotten smart and left town. Our very generous (with his time AND his snowblower) neighbor schlepped over to our driveway and cleared us out. He wouldn't take my money, so I think I smell the cookies baking now. So thankful for nice neighbors!

There is so much snow on the ground and piled high on the streets that I have still not figured out how the mailman is delivering our mail because we can't even reach the mailbox (the snow is piled all around it and comes up to just below the door). That USPS - award-winning, I tell ya.

Meanwhile, the public schools are having a field day with this. 2-hr delay on Monday (from the storm that ended Saturday at noon), school cancelled Wednesday (understandably), today (also somewhat understandable to allow people to dig out and roads to be perfectly clear), AND tomorrow. Seriously? Tomorrow is just flat over the top. So ridiculous. As a result, Mr. A (whose preschool that we PAY for but runs off of the public school calendar b/c they think they can) has not had school this entire week. Anyone want an energetic 4 yr old to come burn some energy at their house?! :)

And, finally - they're calling for 3-6 inches of snow on Monday night. Awesome.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ahh. Winter. Thank goodness for snowblowing neighbors! I have banana bread in the oven today for my friendly neighborhood snowblowers. Glad you are surviving!

The Aamodt Family said...

I love the title!! I can not believe how much snow you have!! Your kids would get lost out there. It sounds like you need a warm vacation soon....doesn't that get anyone through anything?!?!?!?!

mcwally said...

I CAN NOT imagine that much snow. Do you want to ship some out to us? My kids are begging for a snow day. They want to know what all this hub-bub is about. :)

How are you? Just thinking about you.... Hope you and yours are happy, healthy, and well.