Monday, April 6, 2009

Overheard...at the kitchen table



We have a rule at our house (several, actually, but we'll just discuss this one for now): before leaving the breakfast/lunch/dinner table, you must thank the person responsible for making the meal ("Thank you, Dad, for the nice dinner" - a requirement even when hot dogs is the dinner of choice), ask to be excused ("May I please be excused?"), and then take your plate/bowl to the sink. Simple enough, right?

My Mr. A struggles at times and must be constantly reminded of said rule. Tonight, however, was a new take on our old rule. After Mr. A announced "I'm all done" he leapt over the wall by the kitchen table on to the sofa in true Mowgli style (he's into Jungle Book today), we reminded him, once again, of his responsibilities as a member of our household.

"Oh, yeah," he said while running around the couches to come back to the table. He quickly picked up his plate and uttered, "Thank you, Mom, for the nice leftovers. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

There was a little mixup in the common prayer ending and the common table ending phrases. DH and I were busting up but Mr. A had already taken off to get a few more dances in to the Jonas Brothers' rousing rendition of "Be Like You."

Don't you wish YOU lived at our house?

5 comments:

McKee's Madness said...

He is so funny... I love that you have your kids do that... good way to teach them at a young age. I think manners are WAY overlooked now a days. How I Ms.M? She looked so cute in the pix from earlier in your blog?

The Snow Family said...

that is so funny... I can totally see him saying that. And we have the same rules here... must be from our childhood. Now I'm trying to get Nate to answer the phone with 'Snow Residence, Nate speaking'... remember that one from our girlhood?? :)

Lisa said...

I love it. We have the may I be excused and take plate to the sink rule but I LOVE the thank you for the nice meal rule. Maybe I'll have to incorporate it.

I'd love to shoot your sweet little family. I will be here all summer long. No plans to leave, unfortunately. Maybe in the fall. So, I'll pencil you in and then when the time gets closer we can pen in a date and time. I think around 7ish though for the best light. Will your kids be wide-eyed and bushy tailed then or is that too late? We'll make sure it works for all though. Anyways, I wish you could come to the class. If you know of anyone who may be interested, who lives around here, let them know. Talk to you soon.

Double A Family said...

I love it...what great parents you are! I am going to add the "thank you for the meal". Sam may have a hard time with that....eating is just a waste of time in his book.

Bethany said...

That is too adorable!! And way to go with the manners! I'm still trying hard to get Jack to say "please."