My workout clothes are on. The elliptical is waiting for me. It's been this way for a good hour now. Are we shocked?
For the moment I'm much more compelled to finish my 3rd, 4th, or 5th (I really can't remember) reading of one of my very favorites. I still have my copy from my senior year of college - the one I read in my Senior Seminar class - the one marked with bright pink highlighter, red ballpoint notes in the columns, and blue felt tip written somewhere near the end. I'm almost done. I get kind of sad when I'm almost done with a book. The journey is near complete. I'm leading the Book Group discussion on Tuesday. I suggested it selfishly so that I could just read it again.
There's something clearly compelling about a book on friendship - ultimately friendship is what this story is all about. Good friends really are like good French cheeses - they get better over time. The title is taken from this Robert Frost poem:
“I could give all to Time except-except
What I myself have held. But why declare
The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There
And what I would not part with I have kept.”
What I myself have held. But why declare
The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There
And what I would not part with I have kept.”
I think friendships are supposed to help us cross that precarious bridge of the unknown, the unwanted, and even the unbelievable to arrive on the side where we feel safe, secure, or even uninhibited. I am glad for the reminders and I am even gladder for my own friendships - those that have aged like fine French cheese and those that will age beautifully over time.
And so, tonight, my hope for you is that you have/get to have/make friends that help you in your own journeyings and crossings to safety.
I'm coming, elliptical. I'm coming.
2 comments:
I love love love this book. My sister gave it to me a few years back -- her favorite.
I am so happy just knowing that you, too, love it.
HAPPY READING!
Why have I never read this? "Angle of Repose" is the only Stegner I've ever read. Guess I know what's going on my amazon wishlist.
Post a Comment