Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Encounter with the 18-Wheeler


Thank goodness for safe, sturdy cars. I was in the lane with the right of way. The Shop Rite truck driver was in the lane that had to merge. I kept going and so did he - uh oh. I stopped short - nowhere to go when I realized he was still going - just as I thought he would barely miss me, I heard a hitting sound and watched a black piece go flying. I'd been sideswiped by the guy.

I honked. He kept on going. I followed him to the next red light, got out of my car, and walked up to his cab and told him that he'd sideswiped me while he cut me off and that he needed to pull over and we needed to exchange information. He told me he'd just been merging but that he'd pull over up ahead. He did. Thank goodness. He even asked me if I was ok.

We exchanged info, I marveled at how the passenger side door was dented in, noted there was no handle, there were some nice scratches on the back passenger side door (so glad Mr. A was NOT in the car on that side) and couldn't believe my mirror was still attached. The police came and wrote a very nice report in my favor (I'm hoping the insurance companies agree), asked if everyone was ok (and asked again while looking at my belly), and I have filed my claim.

Must get handle back on that door. Just what I had planned to do 3 weeks before having a baby - not.

No comments: