Saturday, November 7, 2009

Freeze Frame

I had one of those moments today where I hoped the world would stand still for just one minute and time wouldn't go on anymore.

It's been baseball-crazed around here as of late. If you didn't know, the local town team was playing in this kind-of-a-big-deal sequence of games - the World Series. So, we've walked around like zombies while we hang on every pitch thrown into the wee hours of the morning. And, thanks to the kindness of almost perfect strangers, DH and I even got to attend one of those games. And we hung on almost every pitch. Until the wee hours of that morning.

Mr. A has even gotten in on the action. "Mom, are the Phillies playing tonight?" he asks me every night. "Mom, I want to watch the Phillies," he tells me every morning.

Fast forward to the gorgeous day we have outside today. We went to the park. The one with lots of play equipment for toddlers and big kids alike. The one where the swings are set up on the hill where you can see the fall beauties for miles and miles around. The one that has a baseball diamond next to the swings. (see where i'm going with this?)

After a few minutes on the swings...
DH: "Mr. A, come with me."
Mr. A: "Where we going, Dad?"
DH: "Just follow me."

Out they walked onto the baseball diamond. The one with no bats and no balls and no bases. Just dirt and grass and a pitcher's mound. And DH proceeded to show Mr. A how to play baseball - with imaginary bats and imaginary balls and imaginary bases. It was so simple. And so sweet.

After some coaching from and practice with his dad, Mr. A even hit an imaginary home run. And he ran the bases. First. Second. Ooops. Forgot to tag the base. Second. Third. And then home. He touched the plate (unlike Ryan Howard-who got credit anyway).

"Mom!!!" he yelled to me while I pushed Miss M on the swings. "I did it! I hit a homerun!"

Miss M wanted to go too. And so Mr. A hit another home run. And he touched all the bases this time. And guess who chased him all the way around? His little sister who wants nothing more than to be just like her big brother. And do what he's doing. And run where he's running. And swing where he's swinging. We all cheered when she touched homeplate.

I really kind of like that they have each other to cheer on. Miss M claps for Mr. A when he hits his homerun and Mr. A claps and screams for Miss M when she runs the bases and into her daddy's arms and up into the air.

You two - I hope you'll cheer each other on forever - in whatever you're doing. Love you both.

3 comments:

mcwally said...

Beautiful. Could see every lovely moment.
Now you can always read this and remember.....

HAPPY FALL! Eager to see you and yours over New Years.

Ashley said...

So, so sweet. Love treasured memories like those!

Sarah said...

Very sweet. I need to savor these kind of moments, they just seem so few and far between!