Saturday, June 27, 2009

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

Some of you may know that my job a few years back entailed much work with NASCAR. I had to attend races quite often - all around the country. It was some of the most fun I've ever had. I always wanted to go into Sports Marketing - I just didn't think it would involve stock cars! DH took full advantage of the "perks" of my job at the time and was able to accompany me quite often. Mr. A, however, was too young to appreciate it all. So, when we were given the chance to attend a race nearby, we jumped at it - and at the opportunity to introduce Mr. A to the cultural experience that is a NASCAR race (if you haven't yet had the privilege, you really should try it at least once).

He talked about "the race" for days - "when are we going to the race?" "today we go to the race?" "Mom, are we at the race yet?"

We scored with primo parking and suite passes (I don't think I would take a 3 yr old any other way) and the first thing he saw - "Lightning." He was in heaven from the get go.

We did a "trackside tour" where we walked on the track and could see the cars just over the wall as they came out of the garages. We met one of the drivers (KH - #29 - Mr. A still calls him Mr. Kevin), saw the activation area and were ready for the race.

Once the drivers had been introduced, anthems sung, and F-16s flown over, the engines started and away they went. Mr. A cheered loudly for about an hour. After the first 100 laps, however, he found the stairs in the suite and the brownie tray far more fascinating. We stayed for just over 1/2 of the race and are so glad we took him.

He says he wants to go again. I'm sure he will someday - maybe at another track. After all, Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice, right?

The Legend to a 3 yr old
Taking it all in

Trackside Tour

Like father....
...like son


The Monster

The view from the top isn't all that bad

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

How cool that they have Lightning! What a fun treat.

Kathleen Barlow said...

Lucky Boy! Save the pictures because he will never remember it!

The Aamodt Family said...

What cute pictures! I love the one of Mr. A looking out the window, so cute!! When are you heading west?